/root/.etc and /root/.usr

Karl Godt
Administrator
There are some hidden directories in /root, that resemble directory names in '/' .

/root/.local is a directory .

/root/.etc and /root/.usr are absolute symlinks to /etc and /usr .

Problem arose , while running recursive "grep -I -r Pattern *" inside the woof directory, that it started to grep inside /etc and /usr of the current running OS .

Q : What the hell uses these hidden links ?

Q : Is it a problem to turn them into relative links like so :
# git rm woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/root/.usr
rm 'woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/root/.usr'
# git rm woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/root/.etc
rm 'woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/root/.etc'
cd woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/root/
ln -s ../usr .usr
ln -s ../etc .etc
# git commit -am "/root/.usr and .etc made relative links.
> Problem arose when running grep -r inside the woof directory,
> that made grep search in the whole /usr of the running OS ( and /etc )."

Re: /root/.etc and /root/.usr

01micko
Administrator
Actually Karl, I'd be inclined to just get rid of them! Maybe the puppy-reference ones could stay, of course as relative links.