momanager: include L18L version?

ASRI
momanager : would not it be appropriate to include the version of L18L in woof-CE?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81259
For non-English contributors/ translators, this utility is very convenient.
Regards,
Projet ASRI éducation => Association | Forum | Deposit

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

mavrothal
Patches are welcome ;)
Actually L18L has submitted something once (successfully) but never again :-?

I sent a message to L18L, I await his response.
Projet ASRI éducation => Association | Forum | Deposit

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

Bert
Hi ASRI and mavrothal,

Yes, adding L18L's latest would be great!

I sent him a PM over a month ago and he did not reply. ( he used to reply within an hour) So, I'm afraid he's no longer following Puppy development.

Related to momanager: In his latest Quirky, Barry included all the gettext libs needed by momanager in the distro, liberating translators from having to download and install the devx.
Could this be done in woof-CE?
It would certainly lower the threshold for new translators.

Thanks.
Bye.

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

scsijon
Since i'm playing with T2 at present for T290, if someone can supply me
a list of them i'll pet them (depencies allowing) as wary551 packages so
they should be good for most puppies.

regards
jon

Hopefully he is OK.
Though his abrupt disappearance from the forum is worrisome...

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

Bert
Jon, thanks for your offer!

I tried the same many month ago: a pet called i18n-tools It made some translators very happy, but I fear it made more translators extremely unhappy

As I recall the problem was getting it right for all versions of Puppy. (based on Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, etc.. and 32 + 64 bit architecture.)

As so often, L18L came to the rescue: he discovered momanager could be run without Devx, after installing the gettext package from PPM. That package is automatically the right one for the Puppy you're in. So that seems to be a better solution. I admit I forgot about this (having been away from the forum myself)

But I just tested this in Puppy 5.7.1 and yes, momanager starts up and runs fine, with just the 'gettext' package installed.

I would love to check this in newer Puppys, but unfortunately I cannot boot any of the woof_CE ones on my D525 atom board. (".sfs not found...")

In his most recent momanager versions, L18L briefly mentioned the gettext-package-solution in a popup:

<<--msgbox "Sorry, these needed applications are missing: \Zb${MISSINGFILE}\ZB. The \Zbdevx\ZB SFS normally has these, but it must be incomplete. Or use Bert's i18n-tools or install package gettext. Aborting." 0 0 #140103 gettext package will also do it>>

So, if this can be proven to work in all Puppys, it would be nice to rephrase the popup accordingly. (and get Bert's rusty toolbox out of it )

Sorry for my ranting, it started as a short reply....

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

Bert
mavrothal wrote
Hopefully he is OK.
Though his abrupt disappearance from the forum is worrisome...
Yes, exactly my feelings.

I tried to find him in the German telephone guide, but he's not listed there.
( before someone tells me L18L is not his real name...I know his real name)

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

scsijon
Oh, that one!

It's site is found here

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/

and is as base level package for T2.

However, it needs to be carefully built, so if these other puppy's
already have one for their 'parent' (deb, etc...) try that one first as
there are a small, but important number of variables that could be
different for each.

If anyone has problems using their own, please let me know with what you
want it built for.

jon

On 09/22/2014 11:02 PM, Bert [via woof-CE] wrote:

> Jon, thanks for your offer!
>
> I tried the same many month ago: a pet called  i18n-tools
> <http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90134http://>   It made
> some translators very happy, but I fear it made more translators extremely
> unhappy
>
> As I recall the problem was getting it right for all versions of Puppy.
> (based on Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, etc.. and 32 + 64 bit architecture.)
>
> As so often, L18L came to the rescue: he discovered momanager could be run
> without Devx, after installing the *gettext* package from PPM. That package
> is automatically the right one for the Puppy you're in. So that seems to be
> a better solution. *I admit I forgot about this* (having been away from the
> forum myself)
>
> But I just tested this in Puppy 5.7.1 and yes, momanager starts up and runs
> fine, with just the 'gettext' package installed.
>
> I would love to check this in newer Puppys, but unfortunately I cannot boot
> any of the woof_CE ones on my D525 atom board. (".sfs not found...")
>
> In his most recent momanager versions, L18L briefly mentioned the
> gettext-package-solution in a popup:
>
> <</--msgbox "Sorry, these needed applications are missing:
> \Zb${MISSINGFILE}\ZB. The \Zbdevx\ZB SFS normally has these, but it must be
> incomplete. Or use Bert's i18n-tools or install package gettext. Aborting."
> 0 0 #140103 gettext package will also do it/>>
>
> So, if this can be proven to work in all Puppys, it would be nice to
> rephrase the popup accordingly. (and get Bert's rusty toolbox out of it )
>
> Sorry for my ranting, it started as a short reply....

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

ASRI
ASRI wrote
I sent a message to L18L, I await his response.
I got a response.

L18L is ok to include his momanager to woof-ce (testing).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=801885#801885

Regards
Projet ASRI éducation => Association | Forum | Deposit

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

Bert
This post was updated on .
Hi all,

At last I had some communication with our good friend L18L.

He's all-right, but unfortunately he will no longer be able to contribute to Puppy development as he used to do, because of health issues.

He agreed with sharing this with you guys here.

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

ASRI
Hello,
Last version of momanager (by L18L) seems to be ok to be integrated in woof-ce.

See momanager-20141123.pet

Regards
Projet ASRI éducation => Association | Forum | Deposit

Re: momanager: include L18L version?

mavrothal
It might be better to remove it from woof and just add it as a pet instead.
Is not needed for any fundamental  OS function. Does it?
I think that BK put it originally in woof because he had no better place for it ;)
Though the fixmenus bit is good speed-wise but brakes the hight adjustment introduced some time ago.