Version number of woof-CE releases

ASRI
Unless I am mistaken, the Woof-CE project will continue for several years (at least, I hope).
Thus, I propose that future versions have a three-digit number (woof-CE 0.0.4 for the next).
see /woof-CE/releases
Regards,
Projet ASRI éducation => Association | Forum | Deposit

Re: Version number of woof-CE releases

mavrothal
Why?
Major, minor and point releases have some meaning usually.

Re: Version number of woof-CE releases

scsijon
I can't talk for others, but how I learnt it back in the 1970's with
PDP's and IBM 'stuff', and I think most others seem to have followed
since is :-.

Major is set by the group for structural changes such as when BarryK
went from T2 v6 to V7 to V8 he went from 3. to 4. to 5., T2 updating to
the V9 trunk is his 6. 'stuff', which I am following for Puppy T290.

Minor are normally used for release updates, usually for large steps in
packages or build system updates and is up to the builder. These can be
a 2-digit number with the second for something equivalent for changes
that are bigger than point fixes but not at the stage that needs a full
release, however this tends to confuse the general users so is rarely
used except for mainframes.

Point are normally used for minimal and internal bugfixes. Personally
i've always run these as 2 digits with the second digit a 0 if a public
fix (.01-09=internal, .10 could be a public update patch if needed,
.11-19=internal...). However, my preferance has always been to not
release points and use a simple patch for the particular application
with problems instead.

anyway, that is my take on build version numbers.

regards
jon

On 09/13/2014 12:18 PM, ASRI [via woof-CE] wrote:

> Unless I am mistaken, the Woof-CE project will continue for several years (at
> least, I hope).
> Thus, I propose that future versions have a three-digit number (woof-CE
> 0.0.4 for the next).
> see  /woof-CE/releases
> <https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/releases>
> Regards,
>

> -----
>
> Projet ASRI √©ducation => Association  | Forum  | Deposit

Re: Version number of woof-CE releases

Karl Godt
I do not think that it is neccessary .

The whole optical theme change by zigbert ( using svg ) would be worth an own branch and an own major number in master .

Then there are always fixes needed for changes in the binary repository .

Tags could be
Slackware-14.1-woofce-0.1
or
Ubuntu-12LTS-woofce-0.1

And when each tag would have it's own branch, then further code fixes or theme changes could be tagged as

Upup-12.04LTS-0.12
Upup-12.04LTS-1.0

ETC ETC PP ..

Re: Version number of woof-CE releases

mavrothal
see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/d97b9cefd2bb96c76632baa4fd7aa1c7591dcd34
and https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/3374cefd53642a29ee876b34cfe23fba039461b9

Now regarding woof release numbers, so far we up one minor number with every final puppy release.
Actually given that this is BK's "woof2" should be 2.x but as "woof-CE" 0.x is also reasonable.
When/if woof-next mature enough to release level then a new number in version-major is sure needed.

Re: Version number of woof-CE releases

q5sys
I think this is why some projects have the 4 # system.
My IRC Client is 4.2.0.2045  (last number being the build number)

Of course then there is the systemd route... I have yet to make sense of the version number there. lol