Update PUI

01micko
Administrator

PUI needs some love.

Issues - Improvements - Ideas

    • 64 bit full install fails
      add support for A and Y drive for full install (a loop would be easy fix "for drv in a y z;do...")
      update USB installs for syslinux >=4.0 (see my f2fs installer for ideas, and that could be tweaked too)
      improve "install" icon on desktop and associated gui
      make it clear to the user that "installing" doesn't include the current session's changes, and perhaps disable saving if the install is successful?
  • Anyone up for it? Top 3 I would say are priorities.

    Re: Update PUI

    mavrothal
    Regarding a/ydrv support in puppy installer, have you noticed this commit?
    https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/d10aa62d765294124a43fb4afd6263312fbdba59

    Re: Update PUI

    Karl Godt
    Tja, wanted to install
    slacko64-5.8.8
    full
    into
    btrfs filesystem partition .

    Don't know anymore, if I needed to mod PUI , to make it aware of btrfs .

    Shock I got from recognizing, that btrfs.ko is compiled as module .

    All major file systems should be compiled into the kernel ( jfs, xfs , hfs* .. ) .
    Even if the modules are not left out of the initrd.gz ( which they often are ) ,
    full installation then fails to boot  ( and frugal - see above ) .

    Reiserfs for example is compiled into the kernel - but who uses it ?

    I know, changes to DOTconfig can be PITA .

    bash-3.2# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep _FS
    CONFIG_PNPBIOS_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_USB_SWITCH_FSA9480=y
    CONFIG_IDE_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_SCSI_LPFC_DEBUG_FS=y
    CONFIG_STMMAC_DEBUG_FS=y
    CONFIG_SENSORS_FSCHMD=m
    CONFIG_USB_GADGET_DEBUG_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XIP=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_FS_XIP=y
    CONFIG_FS_MBCACHE=y
    CONFIG_REISER4_FS=y
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_XFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_GFS2_FS=y
    CONFIG_GFS2_FS_LOCKING_DLM=y
    CONFIG_OCFS2_FS=y
    CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_O2CB=y
    CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_USERSPACE_CLUSTER=y
    CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_STATS=y
    CONFIG_OCFS2_DEBUG_FS=y
    CONFIG_BTRFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_CHECK_INTEGRITY=y
    CONFIG_NILFS2_FS=y
    CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_FSNOTIFY=y
    CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
    CONFIG_FUSE_FS=y
    CONFIG_FSCACHE=m
    CONFIG_FSCACHE_STATS=y
    CONFIG_FSCACHE_HISTOGRAM=y
    # CONFIG_FSCACHE_DEBUG is not set
    # CONFIG_FSCACHE_OBJECT_LIST is not set
    CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
    CONFIG_UDF_FS=y
    CONFIG_CDFS_FS=m
    CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
    CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
    CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
    CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_CONFIGFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_ADFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_ADFS_FS_RW=y
    CONFIG_AFFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_ECRYPT_FS=m
    CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS=y
    CONFIG_BEFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_BFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_EFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=0
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WBUF_VERIFY=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_UBIFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_ADVANCED_COMPR=y
    CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_LZO=y
    CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_ZLIB=y
    CONFIG_VXFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_MINIX_FS=y
    CONFIG_OMFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_HPFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS=y
    CONFIG_QNX6FS_FS=y
    CONFIG_ROMFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_SYSV_FS=y
    CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE=y
    CONFIG_EXOFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
    CONFIG_CEPH_FS=m
    CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE=y
    CONFIG_NCP_FS=m
    CONFIG_CODA_FS=y
    CONFIG_AFS_FS=m
    CONFIG_AFS_FSCACHE=y
    CONFIG_9P_FS=m
    CONFIG_9P_FSCACHE=y
    CONFIG_9P_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_DEBUG_FS=y
    CONFIG_FAULT_INJECTION_DEBUG_FS=y
    CONFIG_TEXTSEARCH_FSM=m
    bash-3.2#

    Re: Update PUI

    q5sys

    I thought there were issues when using AUFS on a BTRFS drive.  Have those issues been resolved... or were they just rumors in the first place.  I've never attemptedd it myself.

    On June 20, 2014 6:44:18 AM EDT, "Karl Godt [via woof-CE]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

    http://woof-ce.26403.n7.nabble.com/Update-PUI-tp562p565.html
    To start a new topic under woof-CE, email [hidden email]
    To unsubscribe from woof-CE, click here.
    NAML

    Re: Update PUI

    Karl Godt

    And another idea of mine :

    rename
    initrd.gz and vmlinuz to

    1)
     puppy_slacko64_5.8.8-initrd.gz
     pup-430-initrd.gz
    2)
     vmlinuz-3.13.1
     vmlinuz-2.6.30.5
    .

    menu.lst (grub4dos) entries look as :

    title Slacko 64bit 5.8.8
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /Slacko-5.8.8-64b/vmlinuz-3.13.1 psubdir=/Slacko-5.8.8-64b
      initrd /Slacko-5.8.8-64b/puppy_slacko64_5.8.8-initrd.gz

    title Pup 430 (sdb6/JUMP-5)
      root (hd0,5)
      kernel /JUMP-5/vmlinuz-2.6.30.5  pmedia=atahd psubdir=JUMP-5
      initrd /JUMP-5/pup-430-initrd.gz

    Needs also adjustments for the find routine in remasterpup2 , which I altered myself as

     for aF in '*vmlinuz*' '*initrd*.gz*' '*'"${ZDRVSFS}"'*' '*grldr*' \
       '*boot*' '*grub*' '*stage2_eltorito*' \
       '*menu*.lst*' \
       '*.xpm*'      \
       '*isolinux*.bin*' \
       '*isolinux*.cfg*' \
       '*.msg*' \
       '*.16*'  \
       '*.HTM*' \
       '*.ICO*' '*.INF*' '*.html*' '*.MSG*'

       do
        test "`ls "$CDMNTPT"/$aF`" || continue
        /bin/cp -a -u "$CDMNTPT"/$aF "$WKGMNTPT/$buildDIR/"
       done

    And probably some more further down I have forgotten ATM ..

    Re: Update PUI

    01micko
    No!
    mavrothal wrote
    Regarding a/ydrv support in puppy installer, have you noticed this commit?
    https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/d10aa62d765294124a43fb4afd6263312fbdba59
    Master? Maybe that's why. It seems it is clobbered now.

    Anyway, I'm giving it some love, ridding it of those ghastly orange terminals, cleaning up the code a bit, mainly wrapping lines.. BK I'm sure had a 50' (foot) wide monitor!

    Also tiding up some of the gtkdialog, can't do much with the Xdialog, apart from convert to gtkdialog but no, too time consuming.

    So far I tested on virtualbox (side note - no bug if no VT flag now, so that's kinda cool, but I do believe it is still virtualbox bug as I could get vmware to work). I can install a Full install with no unexpected results (or terminal output). I'll do a couple of frugals and test USB on bare metal (will be updating for syslinux-4.X +++) so needs a good test then post for testing. Cuppla days.

    Re: Update PUI

    mavrothal
    was in testing (still is) but also in master after you merged.

    Re: Update PUI

    01micko
    Administrator
    It's academic now anyway.

    I now have something like this;

    for xdrv in ${DISTRO_ZDRVSFS} ${DISTRO_ADRVSFS} ${DISTRO_YDRVSFS};do
     [ -f $SRCPATH/"${xdrv}" ] && cp -f $SRCPATH/${xdrv} /mnt/data/ 2>/dev/null
     sync
    done

    plus other changes of course.

    ..plus changed to look of some gui..