UI consistency

mavrothal
I was playing with slacko 5.6.3 and one thing that was strange that the PupControl implements some the puppy's little utilities in a different way. JWM/Desktop configuration comes to mind as a good example.
Maybe PC's version should be adopted by the puppy apps.
Regarding PupControl itself is an excellent app but way over reaching. Is basically all of puppy apps reorganized in 10 tabs and as many buttons!
Maybe a cut down version focusing really on setup could replace and unclutter a lot (all) of the menu entries in Desktop/System/Setup as previously done on Saluki and FatDog.
What say you?

Re: UI consistency

Karl Godt
Administrator
Had downloaded fatdog once but never had the inner drive to fire it up.
Saluki I cannot remember anymore, except that it had the xfce desktop.

About pupControl : I am overwhelmed about its many buttons. I have not touched it, except fired it up from the desktop icon, and closed it.

But since it had grown over a longer time, such too many features are expectable.

I am using the terminal whenever I need hardware info. There I can filter information myself.

Since we two are the only ones that complain a little, I think 'just leave it as is'.

The other possibility would be to write a little wizard like the input-wizard(->xkbconfigmanager)  with a button to -> pupControl. But that's by far not my priority.

Re: UI consistency

mavrothal
I'm not "complaining".
PC is a handy app that includes all the menu items reformatted, and some of the original apps improved.
What I suggest is a real settings panel to consolidate the myriad of wizards and settings apps with a more usable and intuitive interface.
PC looks like a good base because it needs mainly _removing_ things instead of adding new code.
The other advantage of trimming is that will make it more responsive (I have some slow machines and PC can take really long time to do all the calls).

What I'm asking is: do you think that is a good idea to consolidate (and remove) most of the desktop/settings/system menu items into a control panel.

Basing it on PC is optional but very logical. Radky himself may be willing to do it as a "Puppy Settings Panel" or something ;).

Re: UI consistency

zigbert
A control panel is just fine, but I understand why Barry never included one of the many control-panel-apps we have seen the last 5 years (I have also made one). A control panel is mostly a top-layer of already existing apps. That means the control panel has to be updated when something changes in the app-structure it depends on. If someone wants to keep the control panel up-to-date, it will give a more structured experience for the newbie, else it will be unreliable.

Personally, I think we should work with improving the apps in Desktop/System/Setup menu - and simplifying the content of the menus. This IS the Puppy control center, but today the menus are hard to read and too long. The work has already started...

Sigmund

Re: UI consistency

mavrothal
> A control panel is just fine, but I understand why Barry never included one of the many control-panel-apps we have seen the last 5 years (I have also made one). A control panel is mostly a top-layer of already existing apps. That means the control panel has to be updated when something changes in the app-structure it depends on.

Not really. A  _woof_  CP should not try to be all things to all puppies.
Just has to organize and call specific woof apps or common pets.
If a developer wants to include additional apps/pets then (s)he must edit the CP accordingly.
But consistency among the different woof settings apps is certainly a a requirement ;)

Re: UI consistency

01micko
Administrator
In Slacko, I have the Setup desk icon pointing at pup-control, it was mainly by popular demand. I agree it is a bit slow though and probably a bit too comprehensive. I've gradually been trimming slacko and am now below 160M. I dropped flashplayer as for half the folks it doesn't work anyway.

Sigmund, in woof take a look at the funny little GUI at /usr/sbin/wizardwizard.. (it is what Setup used to point to) ..it is rather funny but includes probably the right balance of stuff.

Cheers

Re: UI consistency

mavrothal
> In Slacko, I have the Setup desk icon pointing at pup-control, it was mainly by popular demand. I agree it is a bit slow though and probably a bit too comprehensive.

I have a version of pupcontol with "only" 7 tabs and all the app-launchers, sys-info and bottom buttons removed as well as the references to non-woof distros (LH and FD).
It is much snappier and more of a control panel.
The UI still needs some work but if interested... ;)

Re: UI consistency

zigbert
I have grabbed wizardwizard. Let's see.....

Re: UI consistency

zigbert
Do we really need the cdburner-wizard?

Re: UI consistency