Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

zigbert
Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

I have been fiddling with different ideas regarding simplifying more Woof guis. - Not always easy to see the clear way, but I feel confident with some structure changes - if you agree.

1.) A new Time/Date manager.
What should it include:
        - Set time and Date
        - Set HW clock type
        - Time zone (Quicksetup)
        - Psync (if installed)
        - JWM clock mode (if JWM is running) Isn't there a universial clock-mode setter for several WM's on the forum?
Remove items from the Desktop menu.
Add manager as a button in wizard-wizard and in the Setup menu.
The Hardware clock type is atm set in Quicksetup. I want to remove it...

2.) Combine Quicksetup and First-boot-info.
What Quicksetup requires is buttons for 'Connect', 'Setup' and 'Help'.
But Quicksetup is already crowded, therefor move some items.
        - 'Hardware clock type' to Time/Date manager.
        - 'Keyboard numlock' to input-wizard. I is not logical to me (from a user perspective) that numlock is bound to Country layout (as explained in the input wizard).
        - 'Set time/date from internet' (psync) which belongs in Time/date manager
        - 'Set Hostname' shows up as a main option in the internet-connection-manager. For wired connections, user might not get there at once, but it is the first place to look.
That should clean up enough for First-boot-info.

1.) A global theme setter.
In the days when I worked on Puppy Stardust, I made a pTheme app which controlled the all graphical themes in Puppy. I think it is time to look at this idea again. Today the user has to look around for the different graphical settings. - Some times at 'strange' places as the jwmconfig. Not strange for us, but for users unfamiliar with a modular system, it is. Now you can argue that a pTheme will depend on JWM, and we don't like that. But it is easy to solve - The gui shows JWM settings only if JWM is running. In the long run we can support several window managers.
My intention is to include
        - Icon set
        - JWM color theme
        - JWM window-heading buttons
        - Gtk theme (chTheme does not support commandline theme-changing so it will require switch2 - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=448244#448244 )
        - Wallpaper
        - Cursor theme
        - Colors and icon-size for libstardust which is now a part of Woof-CE.
        - Set Rox background as Argolance shows here - http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=760920#760920
To mention is the ability for global theming - One click switches all themes above.
One click to switch between touch-screen and mouse-pointer.
One click to switch from daylight to dusk. This can also be activated by time in pSchedule

2.) JWM config will now only contain options for windows and tray
Should be renamed as 'Windows/Tray mangager'.
Maybe pTray from DuDE could be included - I don't know.

My Apps
I have been working lately with improving /usr/share/applications. The idea is to offer a default desktop icon that pops up all installed apps in a way that is understandable and looks good.
This has at least 3 benefits
        - Easy access to all apps - also those not shown in the menu.
        - Better interface for touchscreen.
        - User can easy drag an app of her/his liking to the desktop, and it still looks good...
        - ... and because of that, we don't have to offer all the default desktop icons. I don't say we should, but we can...

- I have changed the 'name' settings in my desktop files locally to see if there is anything that might be linked to that, but have not seen any changes in behaviour. Any thoughts?
- All *.desktop files inside Woof-CE is now using the svg icons from /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/
- Mick and I have worked through the package templates in Woof to use svg icons, but here are still issues. If you look at the e3 icon, it uses the 16x16 xpm icon even if the package template in Woof tells it to use the svg.
- And some external apps does not have a package template (as the defaults-chooser), so these will show whatever icon and name that the package ships.

This project will never be 100% as we don't know what the user will install, but I don't see that as a valid argument for not using the feature. It will especially be handy for newbies.

Shouldn't the defaults-chooser be a part of Woof?
It does only rely on stuff already in every Puppy.

Re: Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

Volhout
Hi Zigbert,

Maybe there is some merit in improving the WIFI connection. I was triggered by a remark from user "as77" in the Lucid 5.2.8.6 thread, but he has a point. He looks a ubuntu where a click on the WIFI icon in the status bar has the option to
a/ open network setup (like Frisbee or SNS), but also
b/ allows direct selection of the WIFI access points (SSID's). This is very intuitive. When the SSID is known (it's stored, in the tools database with WEB/WPA key), you are immediately connected. When you select a new SSID the tool is opened.

Implementation will depend on the tool used. Maybe the option could be available only if SNS was used... or if Frisbee was used.
\
As to your post: I absolutely favor a "theme" tool, that does an overall configuration.

Re: Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

peebee
Rerwin is currently working on improvements to Frisbee so needs to be kept in the loop on this.....

I would vote for Frisbee over sns any day + BK is unlikely to support sns in the future.....

Cheers
peebee

On 27/02/14 09:33, Volhout [via woof-CE] wrote:
Hi Zigbert,

Maybe there is some merit in improving the WIFI connection. I was triggered by a remark from user "as77" in the Lucid 5.2.8.6 thread, but he has a point. He looks a ubuntu where a click on the WIFI icon in the status bar has the option to
a/ open network setup (like Frisbee or SNS), but also
b/ allows direct selection of the WIFI access points (SSID's). This is very intuitive. When the SSID is known (it's stored, in the tools database with WEB/WPA key), you are immediately connected. When you select a new SSID the tool is opened.

Implementation will depend on the tool used. Maybe the option could be available only if SNS was used... or if Frisbee was used.

http://woof-ce.26403.n7.nabble.com/Targets-beyond-Slacko-5-7-tp353p354.html
To start a new topic under woof-CE, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from woof-CE, click here.
NAML

Re: Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

mavrothal
Timezone/settings defaults are changed in 95% of the cases.
Is likely the most common change in first boot.
If it is to be removed should come up before quicksetup.

What about if (quick)setup is tabbed?

Re: Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

Iguleder
Another thing - UEFI support. I forked the woof-CE repository (https://github.com/iguleder/woof-CE) and added initial support for UEFI using ELILO - now I'm testing it by building a "hybrid" UEFI+BIOS Slacko64 5.8.8.

There's more work to do once it boots - we need a UEFI-capable installer. I think we should write a new installer from scratch, with only one boot loader (syslinux is great these days).

Re: Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

zigbert
I don't want to remove Timezone from Quicksetup - only the 'hardware clock type' setting.
A tabbed Quicksetup is of course a solution, but if we want it to stay 'quick', I think we should avoid tabs if possible.
No need of options most people don't set anyway in the first screen. It should be as simple as possible.

Sigmund

Re: Targets beyond Slacko 5.7

mavrothal
Ah, ok.

hardware clock type is also quite variable.
If you dual boot windows should be local, otherwise utc.
I do not use windows but guess we can assume that the big majority still has windows on their machines.