Slacko64

1234

Re: Slacko64

mkaye
Hi! My first post (ever). Everything seems to be running well on my Dell latitude e5420, i5-2410M, 4GB,
basic Intel chipset, dual sound, all the bells, but, only a whistle or two. I had some trouble with the wireless. Wasn't seen at all. I have this installed on another laptop with very similar HW and had no problem. I copied the ISO from that machine to flash to put it on the Dell and thought maybe some corruption or whatever. Downloaded a new ISO with Precise (also on this machine) and tried again.
Nope. Same thing. Read the list of installed modules on Hard info and it looked off. Just didn't look
right. Went back to the Gateway, checked out the list and no clue. Back again and tried it and I'm surfing the net. So I guess I fixed it. Ha. Mplayer was not workind yesterday but is today after getting the new pet. Any way, thanks this is  a very nice Puppy. Good looking and smart too.

   Cheers

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Glad its working for you .. the next one should be better.

Re: Slacko64

01micko
5.8.7 is out

This is the first alpha

See the main post of this topic!

Have fun

Re: Slacko64

aarf
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/puppylinux/slacko64/slacko64-5.8.7.torrent

to utilise all mirrors the directory holding the files needs to be the same name. have gone with smokey01 as it is fast.

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Administrator
aarf wrote
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/puppylinux/slacko64/slacko64-5.8.7.torrent

to utilise all mirrors the directory holding the files needs to be the same name. have gone with smokey01 as it is fast.
Funny that. I decided to test integrity and started downloading from smokey01. Was crawling. Killed the wget and resumed with -c and my site was 5X faster. It definitely must be a geographical thing.

Thanks for the torrent! I'll add it to the main post.

Re: Slacko64

aarf
yes not always fast but on balance smokey is. today when i started the torrent download both meownplanet and smokey were not fast. but both finished fast. so somewhat luck of the draw. meownplanet consistently beats all of the ibiblio mirrors for me. with the multiseeded puppylinux/quirky torrents you get to see them all side by side.

transmission consistently beats wget by a long way for each individual mirror, transmission can get the same file faster, from the same mirror than wget can.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
5.8.7: My SiS chipset machine continues be a pain. The SiS170 NIC still refuses to connect via SNS and only works with a second attempt and long delay with Dougal's utility. Default delay too short?
The SI7012 sound chip still cannot be set up from the tray icon, setup works from the main 'setup' multiple sound card utility, but refuses to activate afterwards.
SiS has had issues with Puppy many times over the years, but fixes eventually emerged in every case. 'Fraid I don't understand how to achieve this.
Suspect 5.8.7 is OK on other machines - tomorrow, maybe.

Re: Slacko64

mkaye
I just downloaded the new ISO and the average speed was around 1.6MB/s. It got up to 2.2MB/s. Twice the old wireless record. Of course, there's a lot of high things here in Colorado.

Cheers

Re: Slacko64

Sage
Another problem in ..7, FlashPlayer from Salix has vanished from the repo. Only offering is getflash ' already installed' which is of no help for BBCiPlayer. Sadly, show-stopping, but probably no great issue for micko to re-instate?

Re: Slacko64

peebee
5.8.7 - frugal manual install on my HP550 celeron 2gb laptop--

- synaptics touchpad now working correctly and flsynclient running correctly when accessed via Puppy Setup

- Broadcom b43 wifi setup using b43 driver/firmware with no problems using Frisbee

- yassm samba access working

couple of missing icons in sys-info

pretty impressive for an "alpha"

from a performance point of view - haven't yet detected any advantage over 32bit Slacko on this mediocre laptop

Cheers
peebee

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Administrator
peebee wrote
from a performance point of view - haven't yet detected any advantage over 32bit Slacko on this mediocre laptop

Cheers
peebee
You wont on a mediocre machine. On my old laptop actual slackware64 runs worse as 64 does need more RAM. I have 1 GB in that thing. That said, Slacko64 is noticeably faster on my X2 Athlon with 4GB RAM.

Re: Slacko64

peebee
I have successfully compiled the 64bit Broadcom wl driver version 6.30.223.141 for Slacko64-5.8.7

Used the exact same source as for the 32bit variant as it contains both 32 and 64 bit proprietary binaries.

Noticed that the rerwin fix (below) for ipw2000/iwlwifi devices hasn't made it into woof-ce as yet.....so my pet contains the pinstall patch to MODULESCONFIG

Cheers
peebee

#140104 Add preference for intel wifi drivers over the broadcom wl driver.
grep -q ' wl:' etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG || sed -i "/^PREFLIST=/ s/ '$/ wl:ipw2100:ipw2200:iwlwifi&/" etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Administrator

#140104 Add preference for intel wifi drivers over the broadcom wl driver.
grep -q ' wl:' etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG || sed -i "/^PREFLIST=/ s/ '$/ wl:ipw2100:ipw2200:iwlwifi&/" etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG

Thanks for the reminder!

Re: Slacko64

GCMartin
This post was updated on .
Wow. Lots of fore-thought and planning. What a relief to have a distro with presence and sharing at its core.

Another item that may be of interest to some, the alpha perform very very well on my eeePC. It, unlike some of the others, has 2GB RAM. This alpha has a much more responsive feel than the installed Ubuntu provides (Ubuntu has performed stably since added 4 years ago.) And other 64bit PUPs have been tested over the years on this PC. I am liking what I see in Slacko64

IDEA!!! Maybe this distro should be called "Slacko64" vs Slack64. Maybe, too, the subject in this post which says Slack64 is an oversight.

Thanks for continuing this path for 64bit systems.
Edit: Sorry, old eyes. I think I misread it somewhere. Everywhere else reads SLACKO64..correctly!

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Administrator
I can't see where it says "Slack64"

Re: Slacko64

smokey01
Me neither.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
"On my old laptop actual slackware64 runs worse as 64 does need more RAM. I have 1 GB in that thing. That said, Slacko64 is noticeably faster on my X2 Athlon with 4GB RAM."

Hmmm! Seems to make my earlier point about appropriateness for me?!!!
Maybe we (that means you, of course, micko) could be looking at a Slacko64lite version, probably running off a 1 or 2Gb stick, basic utilities and apps, suitable for regular tasks only as well as diagnostics and repair on all 64bit boards. Incidentally, over the years, Puppy has proved the most valuable tool for those latter two functions plus demonstrations to the uninitiated. I guess I'm thinking QuirkSlacko64...

Re: Slacko64

aarf
yes have read the reports of the high things in Colorado:)

have uploaded the torrent from https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64 to
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/9496397/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64_archive
this brings in mostly people using ┬ÁTorrent who aren't getting access to the webseeds and so are slow at getting the files down so more seeds please.

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64 is really a resource that cannot be ignored when making torrents. it has both big speed and big capacity.
so i am considering changing  meownplanet directories to be named as the names used at https://archive.org/ and building the mktorrents to this directory name.
would be very nice if all mirrors directories containing the files could be the same name then we arent wasting any resources. else it is seeding both torrents which dont compliment each other as the hashes wont match.
so what i am asking is for all mirrors to have the same directory name then everyone can seed the same thing with a torrent made with mktorrent

Re: Slacko64

aarf
so i am thinking that the way forward is to name the directories as such
eg.
http://01micko.com/testing/5.8.7/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64/
http://01micko.com/testing/5.8.8/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64/
etc http://01micko.com/testing/5.8.x/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64/

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko64/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64/

http://01micko.com/testing/5.6.5/Puppy_Linux_Slacko/

then put the appropriate files inside each folder so they can still be separate and easier to choose. i can then make torrents for individual release with all mirrors included. it still wont hash with archive.org torrents as the hash will be different.

but starting from the next release not retro.

as of now i am not sure if http://ia700909.us.archive.org/30/items/Puppy_Linux_Slacko64/
and http://ia600909.us.archive.org/25/items/Puppy_Linux_Slacko/
will actually release the files to non-native torrents. but will test this one day soon

Re: Slacko64

aarf
test completed using
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/mktorrent/testpuppylinuxslacko.torrent

so foreign torrents with foreign trackers can get files from the various sites used by archive.org to hold files.
tested
http://ia600909.us.archive.org/25/items/,http://archive.org/25/download/,http://ia800909.us.archive.org/25/items/
 got files sucessfully from
 http://ia600909.us.archive.org/25/items/ and http://ia800909.us.archive.org/25/items/

torrent was made online using this string

./mktorrent -a udp://open.demonii.com:1337/announce -a udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announce -a udp://tracker.istole.it:6969/announce -a udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce -a udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce -a udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce -a udp://tracker.torrentbox.com:2710/announce -a http://fr33dom.h33t.com:3310/announce -a udp://tracker.thepiratebay.org:80/announce -a udp://fr33domtracker.h33t.com:3310/announce -a udp://inferno.demonoid.com:3391/announce -a http://tracker.torrentbay.to:6969/announce -a http://puto.me:6969/announce -a http://torrent.gresille.org/announce -a http://tracker.thepiratebay.org:80/announce -a udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce -a http://linuxtracker.org:2710/announce -c \"Puppy Linux version by \" -w http://ia600909.us.archive.org/25/items/,http://archive.org/25/download/,http://ia800909.us.archive.org/25/items/ -o puppylinuxslacko.torrent /home/meownpla/public_html/puppylinuxstuff/aarf/puppylinux/slacko-5.6.3/Puppy_Linux_Slacko/ 2>&1
1234