Slacko64

1234

Re: Slacko64

aarf
This post was updated on .
webseeded torrent download tested and md5sum checked http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/puppylinux/5.8.5/slacko64-5.8.5.torrent
(right click and choose save as, use transmission to utilise the webseeds)

Re: Slacko64

pemasu
3.12.7 might have fix for nvidia optimus dual graphics suspend freezing:
It has affected my intel/nvidia dual graphics laptop with 3.12.X kernels. Meaning no waking up from suspend.
Waiting eagerly to test 3.12.7 kernel.

ACPIPHP / radeon / nouveau: Fix VGA switcheroo problem related to hotplug

    commit f244d8b623dae7a7bc695b0336f67729b95a9736 upstream.

    The changes in the ACPI-based PCI hotplug (ACPIPHP) subsystem made
    during the 3.12 development cycle uncovered a problem with VGA
    switcheroo that on some systems, when the device-specific method
    (ATPX in the radeon case, _DSM in the nouveau case) is used to turn
    off the discrete graphics, the BIOS generates ACPI hotplug events for
    that device and those events cause ACPIPHP to attempt to remove the
    device from the system (they are events for a device that was present
    previously and is not present any more, so that's what should be done
    according to the spec).  Then, the system stops functioning correctly.

    Since the hotplug events in question were simply silently ignored
    previously, the least intrusive way to address that problem is to
    make ACPIPHP ignore them again.  For this purpose, introduce a new
    ACPI device flag, no_hotplug, and modify ACPIPHP to ignore hotplug
    events for PCI devices whose ACPI companions have that flag set.
    Next, make the radeon and nouveau switcheroo detection code set the
    no_hotplug flag for the discrete graphics' ACPI companion.

Re: Slacko64

iguleder
Adding UEFI support is simple if you have a working example - just use https://github.com/iguleder/lazyux/commit/ddbf0c9f9daf017d908a19a43a7c83730f3a06df - it took weeks to get this crap to work.

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Uploading now.. find it in testing/5.8.6 .. bed for me.. give it an hour or 2 to upload.

It's about 168M, full samba and most apps. Some are broken, full disclosure tomorrow, devx + kernel source too.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
Great project!
Confirm slow to X-screen with Radeon.
SNS doesn't work with SiS190 chipset but OK with Dougal's - wired.
Needs default FlashPlayer. Will investigate if any (32) .pets function.
Just back, will continue to investigate while you rest.
Thanks, micko.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
FP v.11 in (Salix)repo works OK + BBCiPlayer; as expected no 32bit FP .pets work but suspect already known.
Hard/sysinfo not in any repo?

Re: Slacko64

Sage
Unable to activate sound, SiS SI7012, correctly IDed. How did you do it , Smokey?

Re: Slacko64

aarf
This post was updated on .
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/puppylinux/5.8.6/slacko64-5.8.6.torrent (this has been remade to include the deltas)

 deltas for the iso and devx  inside the torrent

these are online md5sums.. deltas are about 60MB and untested.

440b44174938e561279d0d4cc8bb2c9f     devx_slacko64_5.8.5.sfs___devx_slacko64_5.8.6.sfs.delta
 b05c05dad5351b6fc279673e4595f72c devx_slacko64_5.8.6.sfs
 4f8723db779905889da619c466ff4bb4 devx_slacko64_5.8.6.sfs.md5.txt
 f9e949a70508860e7a01c35f36a85586 kernel_sources-3.12.7-slacko64.sfs
 11db1e12b39771bce33f442fcd480a82 slacko64-5.8.5.iso___slacko64-5.8.6.iso.delta
 7d77324e6d7729f6570d68a1f0e838e5 slacko64-5.8.6 all md5sums.txt
a25bb4e900d98ad29dcfe42cc7c38cb8 slacko64-5.8.6.iso
 c14aaaa1c9ddf6e1408fc082ad499ad2 slacko64-5.8.6.iso.md5.txt
 bd58c1d30d1374c446c4a9a7fd1ece64 slacko64-5.8.6.torrent

Re: Slacko64

JakeSFR
> >- Gnumeric and Gparted are ok, however Abiword is missing libwv-1.2.
> >> -abiword, +goffice, +wv (wv is in PPM < salix)

Oh yes, how could I missed that, thanks!

5.8.6:
- "pre-desktop" delay is gone
- gpicview seems to be more versatile than Viewnior - will it go to regular Slacko, too? Anyway, it handles properly all those formats I recently added to Woof
- nice wallpaper :)

Looks better and better!

Greetings!

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Administrator
Ha.. the wall was the original for 4.3, the very first woof-built puppy. Yours truly added the text with the (at that time) newly created 'pdingobats' font. (See pwidgets ;-))

Anyway I have updated the first post.

@Sage - hardinfo is in there but it crashes

Next I will include that ghastly flash...

@aarf - thanks mate for the torrent links - I built transmission last night - all sorts of headaches, forgot it only works in gtk-3! So built an old one.

I know about the stupid devx bug!!!! (gparted pets )

Re: Slacko64

Sage
5.8.6: confirm desktop delay fixed, all sound settings set in both 'setup' and 'tray icon config' but still silent??? Sound chip originally detected as hw0 but when selected changes to hw1?? Is this an instance of two sound card problem again?

Re: Slacko64

james c
Did a quick frugal install of 5.8.6 on one of my Nvidia boxes......all basics working correctly on initial boot. Did not need to use the nouveau.noaccel=1 kernel parameter.
Looking good so far. On to more testing.......

Re: Slacko64

01micko
MPlayer is broken too.. must have picked up the old ffmpeg headers.

Built a newer one which exposed the ffmpeg bug where the libs are in the wrong spot at the linker stage.. moved the libs and presto!

MPlayer (new package) <-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko6414/MPlayer-2013-08-30-x86_64.pet

Re: Slacko64

pemasu
Quick test to see what is situation with nouveau-acpi suspend freezing.
Suspending still freezes the comp. Hard poweroff still needed. Meaning that I need to remove nouveau kernel module and let comp use only intel graphics. It might be that it will be 3.13.X kernel series before this dual graphics nvidia optimus bug has been fixed.

Otherwise....looks great. Great work. I will surely test more, when I have removed offending nouveau.ko and created savefile.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
Confirm sound OK with regular '97 chipsets, must be an HW dependent feature. Driver for SI7012 missing? Nightmare senario, micko - you've got quite a few HW-specific issues judging by early reports.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
Sound finally sussed on this SiS system. Off/muted at boot up. If one visits the sound config on right click of tray icon all is lost, even retrovol isn't accessible. Got to go via desktop setup icon and hit the double sound card option then all sweetness and light. Any prior visit to the config will negate other attempts. Vaguely remember something like this cropping up elsewhere?
Found Hardinfo, thanks micko - saves grovelling with torch in hand to look in the box (all my 64bit machines are in cases - daft, I know for testing, but that's just how it falls at the moment.
Otherwise - impressive.
Except, maybe - should we be worrying at all about compact live distros on 64bit state-of-art HW?! Great intellectual stimulation for the cognoscenti, though.

Re: Slacko64

01micko
Administrator
Sage wrote
Except, maybe - should we be worrying at all about compact live distros on 64bit state-of-art HW?! Great intellectual stimulation for the cognoscenti, though.
With 940 hits on this thread alone in 4 days ..and I hardly publicised it.. I'd say there's demand.

Just checked the logs.. there have been 285 downloads of 5.8.5! No stats on 5.8.6 (through cpanel) as yet.

Re: Slacko64

Keef
Boots and runs ok on the desktop PC with 2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2218 HE: 2599.91MHz and 8 gig of ECC ram.
Sound and internet working.

Re: Slacko64

Sage
Demand - yes, of course, like offers of 'free' chocolate. Lots of demand for a bunch of stuff; ----------- write your demands here.
Landfill may not be such an issue in Oz with all those big holes in the ground from sending your mineral resources to China!
You won't find politicians voting for rational sustainable policies and objectives.
But I still like Slacko64.

Re: Slacko64

smokey01
Sage> Unable to activate sound, SiS SI7012, correctly IDed. How did you do it , Smokey?

I have a different sound card so it worked OOTB.
1234