Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

12

Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

01micko
Administrator
Hi everybody

I have until the end of January then my time is very limited.

In that time I want

 * slacko stable released with as many bugs fixed as possible
 * slacko64 alpha released
 * a sanity check version of upup

I might add to this as I think of things

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

zigbert
Ok, end of January...

- Puppy icons are not complete, but does what we want them to do atm.
  If you miss/need some other icons, please ask.
- Flat-orange is gone.
- Many setup guis are transformed to use libstardust.
  libstardust is /usr/lib/gtkdialog and /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy, and will be released separately later.
  This will be required for those who like to use our apps outside woof-CE.
  I intend to use libstardust for my apps in the pSeries. This will not be done in January.
  I will be absence next week because of a holiday :)
- I will focus on the last guis in what I see as the first-seen-apps -
  what users meet without digging into the deepest areas of Puppy.
  - dotpup - Should I include f2fs installer ?
  - welcomefirstboot - Can we switch from bacon to bash ?
  - Cups_shell - I need to find the compromise between the Woof and the Slacko edition.
  - PupX - I really don't know what to do about this one. It is just misplaced...
    Why isn't the moouse/keyboard options a part of the input wizard?
    and the screensaver a part of the xorgwizard/xserverwizard/...
    Are there any reasons, or can I move this code if I find the motivation?
  - Grub configs
  - What else... ? The Puppy installers requires a lot of work because of the testing,
    so I stay away from these for now.

- And at last, I have a request.
  Would it be possible to keep the desktop clean of the color red.
  I think it would wise to only use red when we want the users attention. -  Danger, Error, ...
  Atm, there are 2 'reds' on the desktop.
  - The xload trayapp. I suggest something like
    xload -nolabel -bg "#222222" -fg "#0E5E81" -hl "#666666"
    to stay in the same colors as the default icon-theme.
    I have tried to figure out where to pull this request without any luck.
    If there is a place, please point me to it. The same is for the pppoe_gui at
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=744434#744434
  - The outline png used by pup_event. This is not critical, but I don't find it
    logical to show a cancel-cross for unmounting.
    Oth, I have not found a better solution yet :)
    I am hoping for something better than the yellow/green frames. They are not sexy in my eyes.

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

01micko
Administrator
zigbert wrote
  I intend to use libstardust for my apps in the pSeries. This will not be done in January.
  I will be absence next week because of a holiday :)
- I will focus on the last guis in what I see as the first-seen-apps -
  what users meet without digging into the deepest areas of Puppy.
No rush, do what you can comfortably, you have done plenty.
zigbert wrote
  - dotpup - Should I include f2fs installer ?
Not yet.
zigbert wrote
  - welcomefirstboot - Can we switch from bacon to bash ?
Yes. Keep it as light (on resources) as posible though and don't forget to look at the code I have in the slacko hack (welcome1stboot.sh).
zigbert wrote
  - Cups_shell - I need to find the compromise between the Woof and the Slacko edition.
Yes!
zigbert wrote
  - PupX - I really don't know what to do about this one. It is just misplaced...
    Why isn't the moouse/keyboard options a part of the input wizard?
    and the screensaver a part of the xorgwizard/xserverwizard/...
    Are there any reasons, or can I move this code if I find the motivation?
Move it later, for 5.7 we leave for now.
zigbert wrote
  - Grub configs
This is a contentious issue. Sure, fix it but there will be more to come with 64 bit support. (EUFI, "secure boot" grub2, bla, bla). In my eyes it is not urgent as it will all change in the coming months.
zigbert wrote
  - What else... ? The Puppy installers requires a lot of work because of the testing,
    so I stay away from these for now.
Yes, wise for now. We must update to a later syslinux and that completely breaks all scripts to do with USB. The only one that handles it for now is the f2fs-installer, and it's not in woof anyway.

zigbert wrote
So, I will handle the xload. That's a pet anyway which (more or less) I have been maintaining.
As for the squares, take a look at /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/closebox_outline48.png and /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/locked_outline48.png. Keep the names the same and do what you think is best.

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

zigbert
I am uncertain about this, so I don't won't to pull any request before you are more please with my alternative than the original. The original does the job and I have not got rid of the red cross. The user has to understand that it is a 'cancel-button'.

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

mavrothal
Administrator
what about the good old unmount "thick up arrow" instead of the X?
(see http://osx.iusethis.com/icon/osx/unmountvolumes.png )

Also the yellow exclamation looks a bit threatening.
What about nothing for defaults, down arrow for unmounted removables and up arrow for mounted removables.
File managers also use the same conversions.
Some nice color would be a bonus ;)

(how do I attache images here?)

Administrator
Attach images by the "insert image" button

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

mavrothal
Administrator
Aaah, but but does not work in "incognito"  mode

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

Keef
I've never liked the red cross - just doesn't look right.
What about a green circle/square for mounted, and greyed out when unmounted? I did change this by hand once (well the green bit anyway) and it looked way better.
Or, as the mounted drives have a box round them anyway, why not just use that? maybe with a small drive light as well perhaps.

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

01micko
Administrator
This post was updated on .
What about a tiny "home" icon on the home drive and a return arrow on the mounted drives? Maybe with orange bg on the home (for the tiny icon, incase user has black wallpaper) and a nice shade of green for mounted. No background for not mounted, as it is now.

A couple of horrible mockups...

next try...

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

01micko
Administrator
ok

keef, mav?

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

Karl Godt
Truly theme using horse with saddle :)

or

The big green downwards arrow is too "loud" for my taste.
What about take 1 but with the lock instead of exclamation and up arrow instead of X?

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

mavrothal
Administrator
Something like this (though the orange is a bit scary ;)

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

JakeSFR
mavrothal wrote
What about take 1 but with the lock instead of exclamation and up arrow instead of X?
+1
I like that faint "web" in corners. :)

Greetings!

Still not satisfied? I can upload my gimp file...

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

mavrothal
Administrator
We are probably splitting hairs here, but eject and green do not go well together.
I also prefer the original embroidered  over the gray/metallic frame and I think could be appropriate across different icon sets.
The home is much better than the lock though.

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

zigbert
My (very personal) reason for using a xlib-like button is because we don't have highlightning, and I (very personally) think a 3D-button is the strongest effect we have to tell the user: You can click here.

I have no interest in using time on tasks we don't agree about, so I leave this and focus on something else.

The very best
Sigmund

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

mavrothal
I really do not feel strongly on the matter.
Anything is better that the red X anyway ;-)
3D is fine with me.
Even the green arrow given, the overall green accent, is OK.  I just think making it the same gray color as the house, could better convey its function.
Greetings

Re: Slacko (and woof) road map for immediate future

mavrothal
01micko wrote
Hi everybody

I have until the end of January then my time is very limited.

In that time I want

 * slacko stable released with as many bugs fixed as possible
 * slacko64 alpha released
 * a sanity check version of upup

I might add to this as I think of things
So what's the current status/update on this road map?
12