Puppy package update manager

bigpup
This is what looks to be a very good program to add to Puppy as a core program.
Could you who do and understand Puppy operating system development, look at this and see what you think.
It seems to look at the listed repositories in the PPM to find updates.
I wonder if a complete update, of any and all files from these repositories, would work 100%
See what you think.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95802

Re: Puppy package update manager

mavrothal
Layered OSs with a read-only core are not "tuned" for continuos updates because after a while your original SFS is useless and your save-file/folder is over 1GB with OS files. So effectively it becomes a full install.
For "emergency" updates, PPM already has a "service pack" mechanism and is up to the pupplet developer to provide the packs.
For bigger updates a point release through a delta every a couple of months makes more sense for a puppy-like OS.

An other issue with an "automatic" update is that puppies have various hacks and trims over the standard packages. An automatic update may reverse or even brake things. All distro's that provide automatic updates have a tightly regulated repository with packages tested for compatibility (and even there you have occasional breakdowns). Puppy has non of that...

The automatic-updates software is fine to have but the real issue with updates is the "quality assured" repo.
So if we get a repository with carefully tested packages for every (offical) pupplet out there, I'm all for automatic updates. At least for full installs.
Any takers for the QAed repos?

Re: Puppy package update manager

q5sys

I think the route of a delta is the best idea, I was toying around with the idea before I shelved slackbones due to lack of time.  My plan was to
use a delta to update any sfs I needed to?  It shouldn't be terribly difficult to create a mechanism that could expand the sfs, apply the delta and then repack it.

On October 9, 2014 5:59:19 AM EDT, "mavrothal [via woof-CE]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://woof-ce.26403.n7.nabble.com/Puppy-package-update-manager-tp704p705.html
To start a new topic under woof-CE, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from woof-CE, click here.
NAML