PDE

12

PDE

zigbert
Puppy Desktop Environment
A mini DE based on JWM and ROX. Let's see where it brings.

Re: PDE

zigbert
I have reworked the way the JWM theme-switcher works.
Always thought the screenshots bundled to the themes were just bloat. Instead of viewing the png files, it now renders a svg based on the colors defined in $HOME/.jwm/jwm_colors.

Also the themes are moved from $HOME/jwm to /usr/share/jwm. I can't see any logic to store themes in $HOME.

Re: PDE

zigbert
The original pCorner from Puppy Stardust has been improved, gettexted and woofyfied.
Now added as a module to jwmconfig2.

Re: PDE

01micko
Administrator
Couple of things:

Where is the latest version?

Do you mind if I shift switch2 out of it and into woof? It's a small binary and will be even smaller when I strip the redundant (and mostly deprecated) calls to gtk functions out of it. I guess you already know the binary was built with headers from linux-2.2!!! I am amazed it runs.

The reason, I don't want folk running it from commandline, then realising it has a gui then messing things up, then complaining!

Re: PDE

zigbert
Mick
This is not meant for Puppy 6 (maybe 6.1 ).
I am reorganizing the jwm-structure, so this needs much more testing. I am trying to make a more multiuser-friendly structure. AND, it needs much more work from me. Next is JWM-tray handling... I will release the pack(s) when things are more 'in place'. Don't expect something too soon. I will post here to show progress.

Regarding binaries, please do whatever is best. As you already know, I am a retarded when it comes to binaries.
In addition to switch2, we should consider a virtual keyboard. I used xvkbd in Puppy Stardust, and it worked just fine.

Re: PDE

Karl Godt
01micko wrote
Do you mind if I shift switch2 out of it and into woof?
The reason, I don't want folk running it from commandline, then realising it has a gui then messing things up, then complaining!
1) What is switch2 ?
/usr/local/jwmconfig2/theme_switcher is a script .

2) All puppy bins and scripts should at least support --help and --version option

like :

_usage()
{
local USAGE_MSG RV
RV=$1
shift
USAGE_MSG="
$0 [ PARAMETERS ]

PARAMETERS :

NONE YET

--
$*
"

if test "$RV" != 0; then
_exit $RV "Try again. Good Luck!"
else
exit $RV
fi
return $?
}

for _option_ in $@
do
case $_option_ in
*help|*h) _usage 0 "EXTRAMESSAGE";;
esac

Adds to code size of course .

Re: PDE

zigbert
switch2 is a alternative gtk-theme switcher to the existing one. The only reason for using switch2 is that it is capable to switch theme from cli.
pTheme requires cli switching.

Re: PDE

zigbert
Startup screen

Tray setup

Work with tray items

Re: PDE

zigbert
Still working with jwm config optimizing.

I did look at the 'machish' button-theme because I thought it deserved better. Well, one thing is the theme-buttons, but also the jwm's svg handling isn't the best.
The attached pic shows the old theme at top. In the middle jwm shows the the svg theme. Below has the window_button_switcher converted the svg to png (with rsvg-convert).

Re: PDE

zigbert
The corner activation structure has been improved compared to what I used in Puppy Stardust. Now there is only 1 jwmrc-corners which contains only settings for active trays. That means only one extra tray for the example below. Setting up several trays are resource-consuming, and we better do it best possible. If no corners are active, no extra resources are used.

pNote has also got a touch of coding-fingers. It now wraps the text nicely.

Re: PDE

zigbert
HOWTO use a virtual keyboard

Using a virtual keyboard in Puppy is sensitive. If you for example runs the virtual keyboard vxkbd it steals the focus from the editor you would like to write in. So the goal is to run it without give it the focus. One way is letting a unique jwm-tray swallow vxkbd. If this tray is set to autohide, it works smoothly.

Re: PDE

zigbert
It is easy to give Puppy a easier bookmarking structure.
This shows how to synchronize bookmarks in JWM, GTK and ROX

Re: PDE

zigbert
I have put the pdesktop script inside the jwm_config package.
6 out of 9 buttons is jwm-related, and the others buttons pop in if the depended app is installed.

As you can see of the pic, mouse shortcuts will be configurable. Like the bookmark menu in the previous post. More about that later.

Re: PDE

zigbert

Re: PDE

zigbert
Things are getting useful.
Tray manager is done (at least this round), with the integration of spacers and bookmark menu. Well, the really fun feature would be to add tray-template theming. One click in pTheme could simulate XP/OSX/Ubuntu. Not only the colors, but also how the trays look.

More important is a new script that is used when restarting jwm (from other apps in the jwm config pack). That means every time jwm restarts, it checks the status of the settings, and roll back to last backup if 'jwm -p' reports any issues.

The keyboard shortcut script is modified to unify with the other modules.

What is left?
- a menu manager for jwm-stuff. Major feature is editing of the Bookmark menu. Atm, bookmarks are grabbed from gtk/rox bookmarks. In addition the user can add any directory in rox via a new roxapp. This new app can not be built around Mick's menu manager we know from the recent Slacko, since it is not specific to any WM.

- The jwm theme apps are poor, and could benefit of some new thinking, but I probably leave it for now.

Re: PDE

zigbert
I saw a request of an alternative clock action, so I added this... See pic.
Pic also shows the 'universial'  JWM-verify function. Works well.

In this progress I have done a lot of changes to the jwmrc template. Of course to meet the requests of new features, but also included some wm-classes I asked for many years ago.

<!-- General classes -->
<Group>
<Class>splashwindow</Class>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>layer:above</Option>
<Option>nofocus</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>fullscreen</Class>
<Option>layer:above</Option>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>maximized</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>applet</Class>
<Option>layer:below</Option>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
</Group>

<Group>		<Class>ontop</Class>		<Option>layer:above</Option>	</Group>
<Group>		<Class>maximized</Class>	<Option>maximized</Option>		</Group>
<Group>		<Class>nolist</Class>		<Option>nolist</Option>			</Group>
<Group>		<Class>noborder</Class>		<Option>noborder</Option>		</Group>
<Group>		<Class>notitle</Class>		<Option>notitle</Option>		</Group>
<Group>		<Class>sticky</Class>		<Option>sticky</Option>			</Group>

Re: PDE

zigbert
This post was updated on .
New theme module - Tray template
One click switch to XP

Re: PDE

zigbert
another click... and, yes - the accurate position of the bottom tray is relative to your screen size.

Re: PDE

zigbert
Now we have control over most jwm settings :)

The Bookmark looks like below, and note that the 'Edit Bookmark' points to this gui.
As shown before, the roxapp to bookmark any directory via the right-click menu is still the easiest way.
There should probably be an roxapp for all kind of files, but I don't know if that is possible without one roxapp for each filetype ?????

Re: PDE

ASRI
I am always impressed by the quality of your creations.
Cordialement,
Projet ASRI éducation => Association | Forum | Deposit
12