New ideas

01micko
Administrator
I'm going to throw some new ideas around in this thread.

First is a very simple one. One of the most annoying things about merge2out is that it over writes everything. Imagine, you just custimised all your stuff and didn't back it up.. bugger!

This simple script backs up the mostly customised stuff.. http://pastebin.com/K7WULvPC

Re: New ideas

Karl Godt
Administrator
Had thought that 01setup must be run first ..

merge2out as far as I read  shortly creates a copy of woof to a build directory .

I guess I am totally wrong with that assumption .

Re: New ideas

01micko
Administrator
Yeah you are right about merge2out, but it has to be run every time you upgrade woof so the changes get copied to the working tree. The trouble with that, is, if you change any of the specs files they get over written, it has happened to me many times because I, like most, am an idiot!

Re: New ideas

Karl Godt
Administrator
Me hates upgrades ..

But for that issue of

`cp -au new_woof old_woof`

you are certainly right it seems .

Me myself tends to copy everything to backup folders, but that is also very confusing if using more than one machine with similar but not same partitions - and without home network .

And then several days later after switching machines and back forget everything then and would not find or even search for backup folders  .  LOL