Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR
Old problem - documents encoded in CP1250/WINDOWS-1250 code page don't display correctly.
But I just found that it's an issue strictly specific to Puppy (tried Slackos, Lupu, Carolina, Fatdog...), because other distros, e.g. Porteus, Slax, PCLOS and even SystemRescueCD do handle such docs properly (using Geany: File -> Reload As -> East European -> Central European (WINDOWS-1250)).

Perhaps part of the problem is iconv, which, when trying to convert from CP1250 to sth else, spits:
# iconv -f CP1250 -t UTF-8 cp1250_test_file.txt
iconv: conversion from `CP1250' is not supported
Try `iconv --help' or `iconv --usage' for more information.
#
whereas in those other distros, the conversion is proceeding well.

Well, I have compiled the latest libiconv and it resolves the above problem, but:
- apps (Geany, gnome-mplayer) still can't display the text properly
- it somehow breaks my little script for unlocking my WD Passport external USB drive (the script uses 'iconv -t UTF-16' to convert the passphrase)

So, I suppose that the soruce of the problem lies elsewhere. Any ideas?

Here are the contents of 'cp1250_test_file.txt' (base64 encoded), if anyone would like to check out the issue:
Q1AxMjUwIHRlc3Q6Cgq55uqz8fOcn78KpcbKo9HTjI+vCg==

Greetings!

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR
Ok, I have fixed it. It's missing /usr/lib/gconv/CP1250.so (took one from Porteus).
Everything, incl. conversion using iconv, works now.
Anyway, would be nice to have it OOTB in next releases, if possible.

I'm wondering why there are so few (34) of these modules in Puppy, in comparison to Porteus/Slax (252), which are also considered as small and lightweight distros?
Maybe all of them should be included? Will take only ~800k (xz compression) more on the main sfs.

Greetings!

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

aarf
This post was updated on .
http://www.filewatcher.com/m/CP1250.so.5440-0.html

there is a similar unresolved puppy font fail story at http://puppylinux.info/topic/torrent-for-lang_pack_all-09sfs-by-shinobar

quick try and CP1250.so hasnt resolved the issue, perhaps it one of the other missing ones?
if you have them can you zip them and upload them somewhere http://datafilehost.com ?

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR
Hey Aarf, here you go, extracted from Porteus (x86_32):
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/9492d542

However, since the problem occurs mainly in Slacko, not Lupu, and they have the same set of those modules, I'm afraid this won't change much...
But I think I found how to fix the browser's titlebar in JWM - you have to manually define the font, which will be used in titlebar (and tasklist).
Just edit ~/.jwm/jwm-personal, like it's shown on the screenshot (I used 'unifont') and restart JWM.

Greetings!

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

aarf
This post was updated on .
thanks ever so much this JakeSFR, it is a major coup solving years of failing. was stunned that you got it so quickly.

this slacko5656 with  Umpush thaifont placed in font folder and shinobars lang_pack_all-0.9.sfs installed.

unifont works ok but fails with at least one or two above the line mark in geany.  so switched to Umpush

fail indicated by grey box at fail

 –์ ทัณฑฆาต, การันต์ thanthakhat, karan indicates silent letter (copied from  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_alphabet)

my opera-12.15-1748.i386.linux is failing with some mark type characters at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_alphabet indicated by a large rectangulars box where the thai mark should be.

but firefox 17.0.11 in slacko5656 seems to have it all correct at a quick look.

so i'd say SOLVED!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

i havent used the extra .so from datafilehost in the above tests. will take a look sometime later if they do make any difference. thanks for uploading those.

i am testing this with slacko 5656 because i have lang_pack_all_0.9.sfs installed but it broke my menu icons (see http://puppylinux.info/topic/slacko561-24nov2013/page/2  )   so i havent tried lang_pack_all_0.9.sfs in slacko57 yet.

i think it extracted ok this is Uextract from rightclick app if i recall correctly

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

aarf
This post was updated on .
Umpush font is in this font package ttf-tlwg-0.5.0 from http://linux.thai.net/node/252

havent tried the later versions available there.

also from http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/language%20stuff/ along with other language stuff

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR
I'm glad it's been, more or less, resolved for you. :)
As for UExtract (3.0 here) - just downloaded the .pet from datafilehost and it unpacks fine for me. Perhaps the download has been interrupted/corrupted in your case..?
MD5:
6b63846f12338043161f133cef314791  missing_codepages.pet

Greetings!

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

aarf
hmm its not so simple as opera mostly correct
<image start>

</image end>

verses firefox fail

firefox is failing for most of the languages in http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/language%20stuff/UTF-8-demo.txt  while opera is succeeding.

complex issue.

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

aarf
no md5sum checks out ok, did the extract again and it was ok. you could be right in that i tried extracting before it was fully dowm. solved.

so taking a break and will come back fresh and look further at this another time.

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR
In Firefox, changing the encoding to UTF-8 made a difference for me (Edit -> Prefs -> Content -> Advanced -> Character Encoding).

Greetings!

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

aarf
yes that tweak has fixed firefox display for that test page. i dont usually use firefox so wasn't aware of all the tweaks available for fonts, firefox fixed now better than opera above. requires a reboot to show:

definitely usable for Thai.

at quick glance most/all other languages are fixed too (i dont know this for certain) and the box drawing at the bottom is the best i have seen in my Linux. just a little out in the box in Mathematics and sciences section

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

01micko
Hmm.. supposed to be 37.. I guess BK thought that was enough.

When woof first started there wasn't a thought for i18n or anything.

So this needs to be fixed : https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/tree/master/woof-code/packages-templates/glibc/usr/lib/gconv

Delete all those and make a file PLUSEXTRAFILES - mode 644 and that should take care of it at woof level.

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

mavrothal
OK is pulled. Shouldn't Packages-puppy-* be _now_ amended with the proper packages so next build not be without any codepages?

Re: Code page CP1250 is broken in Puppy

JakeSFR
SFR@GitHub wrote
Anyway, I'll ask Mick if he could shed some light on this...
Oh, you have already raised the issue Mav. Didn't notice. Thanks!

Greetings!