64bit woof?

01micko
Administrator
Who would like 64bit Puppy just like lucid, precise, slacko, etc..???

Of course other arches (which have semi- support anyway) too.

I think that should be part of our goal.

Any thoughts?

Re: 64bit woof?

Karl Godt
Administrator
Of course, who not ?

Dima ( iguleder ) 's woof called roar-ng i think , actually is 64bit by default : https://github.com/iguleder/roar-ng

Have not a single clue about adding code to woof-build-scripts .

Re: 64bit woof?

iguleder
This post was updated on .
Me! woof-CE should be 64-bit capable.

It shouldn't be too hard to achieve - we just need many static binaries.

I was able to replace init, syslogd, etc' from BusyBox with lazy-utils, udev with devd, Bash with loksh, etc' in Slacko and achieved an identical-looking Puppy, that uses less RAM and boots faster. It's easy to build static versions of these, so it shouldn't be very hard to make a "common" repository for x86_64.

I'm currently focusing my efforts on a small Xfbdev and a basic desktop that runs on top of it - once everything is ready, I'll try to make woof-CE capable of building a 64-bit, "mini-Puppy" with all these small alternatives.

EDIT: by the way, why don't we just try to build a 64-bit Slacko (without any applications) right now? We can use the 32-bit static binaries for now.

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko
Administrator
Well.. here's my idea..

Iguleder, I'll wait til you've done your next clean up then I'll go for it! And I'll go the whole hog, hacking in 64 bit support. I'll build a kernel in fatdog for now then download and unpack the slackware64-14.0 bins. I can use Fatdog static bins in the initrd for now too. It will be a kind of thinSlacko64..

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko
Administrator
Made the first step, updated 'new2dir' to reflect the arch in the package name. LOOOOOOONG way to go!

Re: 64bit woof?

iguleder
The static "core" effort is progressing at a good pace! The whole thing is ~2.5 MB, with JWM and a small collection of GTK1 applications, all 64 bit, built automatically.

I want to build a 64-bit Puppy from these packages once I get ROX-Filer to work.

(Believe me, it looks much better with the new /etc/system.jwmrc I added to the skeleton)

Re: 64bit woof?

iguleder
An update - I got JWM and GTK1 applications to look nicer using Terminus. Now, it boots and even recognizes mice properly, at 20 MB (with all kernel modules included).

However, Ratpoison doesn't work - it complains about locale support and fails to load fonts completely.

Re: 64bit woof?

iguleder
It works!

The RAM usage and the number of running processes are amazingly low. Now, I'm going to package everything as PETs or create a fake Slackware repository, so woof-CE can use these packages.

Re: 64bit woof?

smokey01
Absolutely. I prefer to drive a race car with a V8, not a 4 cylinder.

Looking forward to it. I might even consider having a crack at my own distro then.

Re: 64bit woof?

Iguleder
I'm kinda stuck - can't get UEFI support to work in a ISO and I looked at the documentation of many distros.

I also need to implement route, add a DHCP client and wireless tools.

However, I have many static applications - they work perfectly in Puppy!

Re: 64bit woof?

scsijon
I notice that t2 v9.0 has both 32 and 64 bit versions of packages as do Opensuse and Mageia, I suspect the others are similar. I had been considering a 64bit for the extra abilities it gave with the ability to have concurrent multi-desktops and servers...

so...

I was wondering if...

woof-arch had a x86_64 branch containing the basic 64bit stuff (most of it seems common between distributions, just rebuilt for theirs) so ?maybe just assembling/building puppy versions would work here? as well as our puppy 'special scripts'. ?Iguleder, does this seem right as I have only had a quick look through my distros so far.

woof-code had the ability to deal with both 32 and 64bit --A LOT OF CHECKING AND RE-WORK I think

woof-distro had a x86_64 branch containing the various sources and their x86_64 bit package equivalents to the 32bit packages.

That way we could remain true to the woof system layout.

thats my thought ramble anyway.

regards and have a good christmas all.

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko
I have been tracking down sources and compiling static binaries and stealing others from slackware and fatdog. Built a kernel too. I should have the inaugural woof-CE 64 build booting by the end of January.

Track developments at https://github.com/01micko/woof-CE/tree/latest

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko
Administrator
Hah! I have it booting to a broken desktop! Never mind the desktop is broken.. system works!

Posting from it now. .. bit like a drunken desktop.. :P

Still.. Xchat is working, Firefox is working, net connected ootb, desktop is all the triangles and grey BUT the jwm menu is working with all icons.. so it's weird, well, not weird, it's rox! And rox can be weird!

Re: 64bit woof?

zigbert
wonderful news.
Looking forward to test a Woof based 64-bit Puppy.
I have been waiting many years for this.

Congrats
Sigmund

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko
Administrator
Here is a teaser! I have fixed the desktop and compiled some basic stuff, mtpaint, geany; fixed a heap of bugs also.

Immediately on the TODo list:
*recompile kernel (current one is built in slackware64-14.1, I only support 14.0 for now, different gcc, so drivers may not build)
*allow it to build itself in woof, that should be doable now. I had been using FatDog, but glibc is too old and depmod fails in woof. Currently building in slacko 32 bit.
*build some more basics --tray icons, osmo, later on abiword and gnumeric

Re: 64bit woof?

smokey01
Drooling

Re: 64bit woof?

01micko
Administrator
One mean dog all right!

I'll be uploading an iso soon...

I'll announce it here, not on murga because it's not ready for consumption yet. It's basically ready to build on. I have new2dir working and have been compiling, geany, fltk>flsynclient, sylpheed, a heap of the small puppy specific utils, .pupevent*, >elspci, >truncate and other stuffs.

Still need to do the static *mm (gtkmm and friends) to build gparted, then goffice >gnumeric,abiword, then some codecs and dvd utils > ffmpeg.. and plenty more!

Re: 64bit woof?

iguleder
Why don't we use the same static binaries across 32 and 64 bit Woof builds? Things like the static BusyBox can be used for both.

This way, we don't have to maintain two independent "common" repositories - just application (i.e Geany) repositories.